Thursday, February 4, 2010

Things I Love About France...#3

Developing Relationships with My Family In Lyon

Definitely something I value the most about the time we have spent in France is getting to know the family I have here. My mom's youngest brother, his wife, and my two cousins all live about 2 hours from us. There were a few times when I was young that they would come visit the US, and when I was 15 we came to visit them for 2 weeks. Not exactly a ton of time to build a relationship with!

Last October, just a few weeks after moving here, we went to my uncle's wedding. We were proud to "represent" the stateside family members at the wedding. Since then, we have spent many weekends in Lyon. Matthew and I have really enjoyed getting to know my two cousins, Christopher and Sophie, Sophie's husband- Yan, and Christopher's girlfriend-Elodie. They have also introduced us to a ton of their friends, and there is never a dull moment when we visit! Luckily for me, all of Sophie and Chris' friends speak perfect English. Although sometimes the conversation will veer off into French, but Chris and Sophie always make sure to fill me in on what I don't understand!

Looking ahead to the Fall of 2011 (our estimated departure date), and knowing that I won't be seeing Bob, Colette, Sophie, and Chris as often as we do now, definitely makes me sad. Even with the best of intentions, logistically and financially, I know we won't see them much. That thought definitely makes we want to spend as much time as possible in Lyon!

Bob and Colette giving us a tour of Lyon.

A little blurry, but this is Amy, Sophie, and me.

Chris, Amy, and me.

Bob and Colette's wedding (the sun was really bright!)

Sophie and Yan

No comments: