Thursday, March 4, 2010

Sushi for My Birthday!

Last week was my birthday, and I wanted sushi. Unfortunately, I have yet to find good sushi in France. So I decided to make my own! Matthew and I visited an Asian market in Lyon during our last visit and purchased some of the basics that I had not seen in our local grocery store (Nori, sushi rice, pickled ginger, and wasabi). After reading lots of articles about how to make perfect sushi rice, and watching dozens of You Tube videos on how to correctly roll our maki sushi, I was ready!

Matthew came home from work, opened a bottle of wine, and we had a great time in the kitchen together creating our masterpieces.


Taking a quick break while waiting for the sushi rice to cool, and opening presents from Mom and Amy.

Matthew having too much fun playing with the camera.




California Roll.

First roll- a success!

The "Matthew Special" roll: shrimp, spicy mayo, alvocado, scallions, and a thin strip of carrot. Super Delish!
All of our maki rolls!

Beautiful roses Matthew brought home for me!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Love the roses.. way to go Matthew! And, the sushi looks beautiful and delicious. Can't wait to try! Way to go! :)