Friday, April 17, 2009

Trip to the US

I am back! After 3 wonderful weeks in the US, I am now back in France. I wanted to catch everyone up on my trip. So prepare yourself, this will be a long post!

The first weekend and week were spent visiting with Matthew's family in Georgia. We also got to spend an afternoon on Lake Burton with David and Betsy. Then off to Columbia to visit Amy and Trey.

The main reason for the trip was to go to MaryAnn and Marcus' wedding. We were so excited that Matthew was able to go back for the wedding as well (although he only got to stay for 1 week, while I stayed on for 2 more!). The wedding was beautiful and we had a blast at the reception. It was so great to see so many friends all in one place! I also got to see a lot of teachers from Palmetto, as well as my old principal (old as in "former", not age...Love ya Mr. H!). Pictures are worth a thousand words, so here ya go! Congrats MaryAnn and Marcus. We love you guys!!!!
(PS-If you want to see the pro's pics, some will be posted on Olivia's blog: http://oliviagriffin.blogspot.com/)



The day after the wedding, Matthew had to fly back to France. I spent most of the next week visiting with more family and friends. The weekend after the wedding I headed to Charleston with my sister, Amy, and her boyfriend, Trey. The Cooper River Bridge Run was that weekend and Trey's sister, Benee, always has a big "Bridge Run Bash". Benee had about 11 people staying at her house (in fact, Amy, Trey, and I slept in a pop-out camper in the driveway because the house was full!). Saturday morning (after several more people showed up at Benee's house), we headed out. Benee, Karen, Allison, Wendy, and I made up the "pick-up/drop-off" crew. After dropping off all of the runners at 6:30am, we sped across the Cooper River Bridge before it was closed at 7:00am. Then we drove downtown Charleston and had breakfast while we waited for the race to start at 8:00am. About 8:25 the first runners (aka the Kenyaans) started crossing the finish line. About 20 minutes later, bigger groups of runners started crossing the line. With almost 40,000 runners, it was very hard to pick out runners from our group. Luckily, I was able to grab shots of Trey and Amy as they passed. The joke of the day was the fact that Trey stopped to go to the bathroom after the race started, caught up with Amy, and still finished about 2 minutes ahead of her! :) After all of the runners had a chance to shower back at Benee's, we headed back downtown for lunch at Juanita Greenberg's. One word...YUM-O! :) Saturday night, even more people descended upon Benee's for the 13th annual Bridge Run Bash. We had a great time, and were lucky enough to have several very musically talented people at the party to sing and play the guitar for us! Here are some pictures. Thanks Benee and Bobby for your hospitality all weekend. Hope to see you again soon!!!



The following week was again filled with lots of visiting with friends and family. My grandparents even drove up from Atlanta to visit. And Mom and I drove down to Commerce for a Mother/Daughter double-date with Sandra and Lauren. The timing of the trip was perfect. I was there to celebrate my dad's fiance, Katy's, birthday. I got to go prom dress shopping with my godsisters, Nikki and Ali. I even got to go to a Clemson baseball game with some close family friends that I haven't seen in years because they had been stationed with the Navy in Japan for the last 2 1/2 years!.

Since I was in France during my birthday, my family celebrated while I was home. My dad gave me a new camera for my birthday, so we took the dogs to a field at SWU to play with my new Nikon. Here are some pictures of Lulah (my black poodle) and Scarlett (my dad's white poodle).



It was a great trip, but after 3 weeks, I was ready to come "home". Yes, I said it. I called France home. It truly is starting to feel like home. (The fact that Matthew was here, and I hadn't seen him in 2 weeks also helped with me wanting to come back!)

1 comment:

John Bolton said...

It was wonderful having you here. I wish you didn't have to go back. The poodle is Katy's not mine just to set the record straight.....
Love you,
Dad