Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Heat Is ON!

I really cannot complain about the weather this summer. This spring, as the weather started heating up, I was really worried about what it would be like to live without air conditioning all summer long. We have had some warm days, but compared to the heat wave our families have endured this summer, Matthew and I felt very blessed. This did not stop us from installing ceiling fans in the living room and both bedrooms in our apartment, as well as purchasing 2 oscillating fans. This summer has been downright pleasant. Even when we had company, our apartment never felt hot. Throughout June and July we had many days that stayed in the 70's, sometimes even dipping into the upper 60's. Coming from the deep south, this is unheard of during the summer!
That all has changed this week. The worst part is at night trying to fall asleep in this heat. Last night, Matthew and I had our bedroom ceiling fan on high, an oscillating fan on his side of the bed (on high), and an oscillating fan on my side of the bed (on high). And by the way, our bedroom is really small, there is only about 2 feet of room on each side of the bed...just enough room for our fans! Even with three fans, it was still uncomfortable.
Poor Matthew has it the worst at work. He has to go to work in his normal khakis and polo shirt (although he has given up wearing an undershirt, which has been pointed out as soooo American by his French colleagues). Today, his office reached the mid 90's! Our thermometer on our deck read 102 at one point!
This afternoon I met Matthew, Bertrand, Claire, and a few others for lunch. When I got on the bus to ride to Jaude, the heat was stifling. It was impossible to hold on to the metal handrails because they were so hot. I will blame the heat for the "blessing out" I received by a woman today while waiting for the bus. She was probably in her 80's, and walked with a cane. I was already at the bus stop and watched her make her way down the street. She walked very slowly and every few steps would stop and rest. She also would hold the cane out in front of her, moving it back and forth to see if she was about to run into anything. As she got closer to the bus stop she started waving the cane again and I moved out of her way. She felt her way around the bus stop enclosure and found the bench. I saw the bus coming down the street, worked up the courage to speak to her in French and said, "Pardon Madame, le bus arrive." She glares at me, whacks her cane against the sidewalk and yells, "Je sais!" ("I know") and then continues to yell at me (although I have no idea what she said, but believe me her tone told me everything I needed to know). I think my jaw hit the pavement. I was just trying to help! Then the doors open and I was going to let her go first, but she started waving her stick again at me and yelling "Allez! Allez!" (go! go!). Geez! I know the French get a bad rap, but she is honestly the first rude person I have encountered (okay, well there was also the guy at a little kebab place in Delille that literally rolled his eyes at me when I didn't understand what he was asking me).

So, back to lunch. By the time we all walked to the restaurant everyone was sweating. I opened the restaurant door with the American expectation of being greeted by a blast of icy air conditioned air, but no- just hot, stale air. Throughout lunch we were all sweating. Our waiter must have brought us 10 pitchers of water. Everyone was wiping sweat off their faces throughout lunch, it was lovely. And poor Claire, who is 5 months pregnant! When Amy visited in July she brought a little battery powered fan Mom had sent with her. I pulled it out for Claire at lunch, so thanks Mom!

Luckily the forecast is only calling for this heat for a few more days. Until it cools off though, those of you who live in Clermont: beware of the little old lady that waves her cane in front of her!

3 comments:

Freddie Page said...

I feel ya! Sitting at my desk with a fan on high... feel like I have hair dryer blowing in my face. If you want you can camp in our living room with our small 'climateseur'.

Jen said...

Oh how mean of the little old lady. Other than the "excusez-vous" that I got at Intermarche that day I haven't had an actual verbal encounter but I must have something written on my forehead that says "people please feel free to jump ahead of me in the line that is already a mile long EVEN THOUGH I HAVE THREE RESTLESS CHILDREN WITH ME and am obviously standing in line!" Yes, I am still a little bitter... Looking forward to lunch tomorrow! :)

Terri T said...

We were in NYC last week. It was very hot there too and I was surprised that no businesses have air conditioning. We would spend the entire day walking around the city sweating and I would have visions of ordering a nice tall glass of water and cooling off in the A/C only to walk in and find it stifling hot without a breeze indoors. The South may be hot, but we are usually prepared. Maybe the North and French should learn a thing or two!

I feel like I haven't talked to you in years. I have not been a faithful blog follower and for that I'm sorry! We need to catch up!