Thursday, November 27, 2008

Isn't It Ironic

I find it very ironic that when I need someone to speak English (in a store, at the bank, in the supermarket), I rarely find anyone. However, in the rare occasion where it would be beneficial not to speak the same language, THAT person always speaks English. For example, there have been times when I need to ask a question of a sales person or grocery clerk, and I don't know the right vocabulary to ask my question. We both usually end up staring at each other in awkward silence trying to decide which would be less painful, me continuing to try to speak French, or her trying to speak English. Then there are times when I pretend I don't speak any French, like when the homeless people ask me for money. On my way home from French Class the other day I saw a guy ahead of me in front of a restaurant. He did not look homeless, but as soon as I saw him, I just knew he was going to ask me for money. I had it already prepared in my head that I would do my worst "southern" french so he would leave me alone. Sure enough, as I walked past he asked for money. So I responded, "Je...ne...parle....pas....le............francais." And I kept walking. So he says, "English? You speak English?" Well shoot! There went that plan!

No comments: