Saturday, October 16, 2010

It's a Boy!

***Don't get too excited.  Jacob has not arrived early.  And if he has listened at all to me, he knows that he is not allowed to make an appearance until his daddy gets home from China next Saturday!***
Okay, back to the precious baby boy this blog IS about! (and hang on to your hats, this is a long post...not a lot of reading, but A LOT of pictures!)

After having 3 beautiful daughters, Scott and Bene welcomed a handsome little boy to their family on October 3.  Sawyer did not wait long once he decided what his birthday should be.  At the point Bene told Scott she thought they should go to the hospital, it was a mere 45 minutes later and they were holding their newest bundle of joy!  Thank goodness they live close to the hospital!!!



Thursday, Jen and I drove to Bene's house so Jen could visit with Bene, and I could take newborn photos of little Sawyer. 

By the way, you might remember my post last February with newborn photos of Sawyer's big sister, Thais.  Thais was my very first newborn to photograph.  She is the reason I fell in love with newborn photography, and the reason I am going to give this whole photography business a go when we move home at the end of next year.  (so Dad, you can blame Thais for me throwing away my 4-year college education in elementary education to become a photographer.  Ok?) :)

It seems like forever ago that I took pictures of Thais.  And I have learned SO much since then!  I also have better equipment (thanks Dad!), which does help a lot when shooting with natural light.  So, before showing you some of my favorites of Sawyer.  Let's take a quick trip down memory lane....


 



Thais was about 3 weeks old when we did her session.  Typically, newborn photography is best when done in the first two weeks.  The sooner, the better, because the babies sleep a lot and are still all curled up and bendy.  Sawyer was 12 days old when these pictures were taken, and he did NOT want to go to sleep!  He fought it for as long as he could.  And, just as I thought he was finally asleep and I could start positioning him, one eye would shoot open.  He also told me exactly what he thought of the whole process as he peed on one of my blankets, and pooped on me!  (forget photography, this was probably a great training exercise to get me ready for Jacob!)  In the end, he finally succumbed to sleep and I was able to do a few different positions with him.  He definitely did not like being naked either, so my cocoons and stork pouches came in handy (they were also handy in covering up the diaper because I didn't want to risk any more accidents!).





I think I was a little obsessed with his perfect little feet.


The cocoon in this photo was knitted for me by Matthew's grandmother last Christmas.  This was the first time I have had an opportunity to use it.  Sawyer seemed to like it!
 

Bene's house is so beautiful with tons of huge wooden windows and doors, so Sawyer and I took a little field trip around the house finding spots to take pictures. I could have stayed another few hours rearranging Bene's house to take pictures.  She has all kinds of 'flea market finds' that she has re-painted and made really beautiful.  But by the end, Sawyer was tired, and so was I! 





I know this has been a long post, but here is a side-by-side of Thais and Sawyer.





Thanks again Bene and Scott, for trusting a complete rookie a year and a half ago with Thais.  AND, letting me come back for round two with Sawyer.  Congratulations on this newest, perfect addition to your family!

1 comment:

Natalia Simmons said...

Beautiful pictures!! You are very talented! I am actually living in St Etienne, France! My husband plays basketball here. Maybe you could do some photos of my family sometime, I would totally come to you! I have two kids and have yet to have a pictures with us 4 together! I know horrible! Love the blog!