Thursday, November 18, 2010

D-Day

Today is my official due date.  And this due date did not pass without a trip to the hospital.  Although, not exactly for the reason I was hoping for!

Last night, I was up all night, going from feeling extremely nauseous to becoming sick as a dog!  I had read several places that some women experience this type of thing of a day or so before labor begins.  Kind of like the body purging everything before, well, purging the baby!  However, this is France and the number of gastro bugs that go around is insane.  And, it really worried me when I could not even keep down a single cracker or sips of water.  I was afraid I would become dehydrated, and didn't even want to think about the repercussions for Baby Jacob.  AND, I felt so incredibly weak, the thought of going into labor already exhausted?!?  I honestly didn't know if I would even have the energy to push!

My loving husband emailed our wonderful doctor, who told us to come in and he would see us.  (Did I mention our doctor is the chef of the department? ie the head honcho.  And he worked us into his busy schedule instead of sending us to a midwife).  They monitored Jacob's heart rate and checked for contractions for about an hour.  As well as checking my blood pressure and temperature.  The doctor did an ultrasound to check and make sure everything was okay with Jacob.  He looks great!  The doctor estimates that he is 3.4 kg/7 1/2 lbs and 52 cm/20.5 in.  Next, he took a blood and urine sample to rule out food poisoning or some other type of infection. 

All the results have come back normal, so for now I am just trying to keep down some fluids and rebuild my strength.  Now is the time that it is really nice to have my mommy here! :)  She has already made me chicken broth and jello and is at my beckon call.  Between that and the back rubs from Matthew, if I wasn't feeling so crappy, I would feel like a princess!

Based on the very low-registering contractions, it seems Jacob isn't going to make his entrance into the world anytime soon.  Which is fine by me until I start to feel better/stronger.  Thank you to everyone for the sweet messages on Facbook/texts/emails/etc.  I promise to do my best to keep everyone updated on our progress.  

For now I leave you with a picture my mom took.  When she took it, we weren't sure if it would be my 40-week picture, or our 'leaving for the hospital to have a baby' picture.  As it ends up, just the 40 week picture (please excuse the bags under my eyes!)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor thing! I wish you felt better! That on top of being 40 weeks can not feel good. We are praying for y'all!! Go baby Jacob!

Love,
The funks

Amber said...

For what you've been through, you still look great! It sounds like Jacob is going to be a very beau bébé :)

Monica said...

You look beautiful! Praying you recover quickly and God gives you your much needed strength. :)

Unknown said...

You r Mum's made you chicken broth - what a lovely lady! When you're done with all that having a baby stuff could you send her round here - I could do with some chicken broth!

All the best

Keith

P.S. If you carry in like this (and perhaps add some photos - but not the messy ones) - you'll be in with a great shot for Blog of The Week!

Jen said...

You do look beautiful. He will be here before you know it. His stats look awesome! I can't wait to hold him!!! :) :)

Sarah said...

Ooh it's nice to be mothered when you're just about to become one yourself. :)

PigletinFrance said...

I'm a bit late reading this and I really hope you're feeling better!

You look great in your photo, amazing even if you've been realy ill! I wouldn't dare put a photo of my face on the net at the moment, not after three months of constant throwing up :)

You must be over the moon that your D day is finally here and your bubba's arrival is imminent, I hope it comes sooner rather than later for you!

Lucky you having your mum on hand to cook lovely things and take care of you! I hope that my mum will be here for our little one's birth as well (and to make me shepherds pie!).

Finally, you must have a pretty modern doc if you can email him! I don't think mine even knows what an email is!

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Sorry you feel so yucky...Praying for your recovery and for a quick and safe delivery. Love you guys and when baby Jacob does make his grand entrance give him a big kiss from me!