Friday, October 3, 2008

10 Things I Have Learned So Far

3 Octobre 2008

1. Being an expat is overwhelming!
2. Kids are much cuter here in France. It could be that all their parents are beautiful French people, but I think it is mostly because I can’t understand what they are saying. Everything that comes out of their little mouths sounds sweet and beautiful. They could be smarting off to their mothers, or saying mean things, but to me- it all just sounds beautiful.
3. There are very few commercials during TV shows in France.
4. As difficult as NCIS is to follow in English, it is nearly impossible to follow when the characters are speaking French!
5. French ovens are very different from US ones. First you have to choose how you want the oven to heat and cook (there are about 10 different choices depending on what you are cooking- all of which are written in French, of course!), then you have to choose your temperature (after you have converted from Fahrenheit to Celsius).
6. You can buy a bottle of wine for the same price as a liter of Coke.
7. McDonalds is very expensive here! A Big Mac meal is about 9 euros (which is about $13!). Matthew and I have been using McDonald’s wi-fi so that we can communicate with everyone back home. Each time we go there, we have to buy something so we can be considered “customers” in order to use the internet. We bought 2 medium cokes and it cost almost 5 euros ($7.25)!
8. Everyone had told me that the French don’t wear a lot of color- just greys and blacks. This is mostly true, except for the color red. And bright red at that! Everywhere you go you see black, black, black, grey, grey, RED!, black, grey, RED!...
9. We are now Mr. and Mrs. Cab. The “e” on the end of our name is completely ignored. I am “Keemberly Cab”. I am married to “Matt-chew Cab”.
10. French people have gotten a very bad rap. Everyone has been very nice and welcoming so far. Yes, they speak mostly French (and those that are fluent in English, still prefer to speak in French- which is very understandable). Thank goodness for Matthew!!! He has been amazing. Each day he just gets better and better. Everyone we meet compliments him on his French. I, on the other hand, just smile and nod at everything! :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Kim,
I just got on here for the 2nd time and OH-MY-GOODNESS! you have done a great job of capturing your experience so far. I hope you can keep it up, b/c it helps me to feel like I'm still part of your life! :)
I loved the top 10 list...that made me laugh out loud!

It sounds like Matthew is doing a great job taking care of things in French...so that's great!

I love you!. . .and miss you too but I also keep thinking you're just gone on vacation!

John Bolton said...

So glad to hear your adjusting to the new world. We love you and miss you.
Love,
Dad and Katy

Cédrick said...

I liked your "10 things" list.
"Mc Do" is amazingly expensive in Clermont as compared to the US, but you'll soon figure out that you don't wanna go there anymore, or maybe only when you need a taste of home... There are a million places you can eat waaaaay better food.
Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm a French expat in Greenville ;)
Bon courage !
Cédrick