Sunday, October 26, 2008

Bob and Colette's Wedding

25 Octobre 2008
As soon as Matthew got off work on Friday we headed to Lyon for my uncle’s wedding. First, we had to stop at Ikea to re-order kitchen cabinets (that is a story for a different blog entry!). Two hours later, we were back on the road to Lyon. Saturday morning, Colette left very early for pre-wedding preparations. Matthew and I were given the job of getting Bob (dressed and cleanly shaven) to the Mairie de Lyon on time (it's kind of like if you were getting married at a Town Hall in the US). My cousins Sophie and Christopher were at the wedding, and it was the first time that I have seen them in 11 years! After the marriage ceremony, we drove about 20 minutes to a chateau. The chateau was called Château de Rajat and was gorgeous! After a quick group picture on the front stairs, hor’deurves were served. Sophie and Christopher had to explain most of what I was eating. Under Matthew’s advice, I had to try something before I asked what it was! Next, we sat down to a 4 course lunch. Again, Sophie and Christopher had to explain to me what I was eating. Although I tried some things that I had never eaten before, everything was very good. During lunch I asked Sophie and Christopher a lot of questions I have been wondering since we arrived. They were very helpful in answering ALL of my questions, such as:
Q: How do you know which side to go to first when giving the bisous (the cheek, kiss greeting)
A: You don’t, it is regional, so just stay still and let them lead.
Q: I have been told it is rude to leave food on your plate, but what if I am full, or I really don't like something? Do I HAVE to eat everything?
A: First of all, if you go to a private French home, NEVER finish everything on your plate, bc they will immediately fill your plate back up. So leave just enough that they understand you are full. At restaurants, you are paying, so- yes it would be rude to leave your plate half full, but you don’t have to clean it either.
This Q&A session went on for a while, unfortunately for Sophie and Christopher!
Then we headed back out to the patio for the cake cutting and toast. After everyone had time to eat cake, a couple wearing dance costumes emerged and demonstrated several dances (the paso doble, the jive, the tango, the waltz, etc). They had 3 costume changes, with about 5 dances per costume. After the last dance, they started dance lessons for the guests. Bob and Colette were the first to be called to the dance floor. After about 6 minutes (and his foot being stepped on) Bob quickly exited the dance floor. I wisely opted to remain on the side taking pictures (A- I didn’t know the dance, and B- I couldn’t understand the directions that the instructor was giving, in French of course).
Matthew and I had a lot of fun at our first French wedding. We met a lot of new people and I reconnected with Sophie and Christopher. We really enjoyed Lyon and hope to go back often to visit.

2 comments:

Jen said...

How fun!! Love the pictures and the chateau is gorgeous. Thanks for the heads up on the bisous and the clean plate etiquette. :) You are going to have everything figured out before we get there. Yay!

Preston and Clarrette said...

The pictures are great. BTW thanks for the info about French dinners in the someones home. We went to a dinner about 2 weeks ago and she kept either putting more lamb on my plate or asking if I wanted more. Now I know why!